Friday, July 06, 2007

St. Thomas Aquinas' Prayers for Mass

These are the newest additions to my prayer routine for Mass. Enjoy!

A PRAYER FOR BEFORE MASS

Almighty and everlasting God, behold I come to the Sacrament of Thine only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ: I come as one infirm to the physician of life, as one unclean to the fountain of mercy, as one blind to the light of everlasting brightness, as one poor and needy to the Lord of heaven and earth. Therefore I implore the abundance of Thy measureless bounty that Thou wouldst vouchsafe to heal my infirmity, wash my uncleanness, enlighten my blindness, enrich my poverty and clothe my nakedness, that I may receive the Bread of Angels, the King of kings, the Lord of lords, with such reverence and humility, with such sorrow and devotion, with such purity and faith, with such purpose and intention as may be profitable to my soul’s salvation. Grant unto me, I pray, the grace of receiving not only the Sacrament of our Lord’s Body and Blood, but also the grace and power of the Sacrament. O most gracious God, grant me so to receive the Body of Thine only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, which He took from the Virgin Mary, as to merit to be incorporated into His mystical Body, and to be numbered amongst His members. O most loving Father, give me grace to behold forever Thy beloved Son with His face at last unveiled, whom I now purpose to receive under the sacramental veil here below. Amen.

ADORO TE DEVOTE ~ A Prayer of Thanksgiving following Communion.

O Godhead hid, devoutly I adore Thee, Who truly art within the forms before me; To Thee my heart I bow with bended knee, As failing quite in contemplating Thee. Jesu, eternal Shepherd! hear our cry; Increase the faith of all whose souls on Thee rely. Sight, touch, and taste in Thee are each deceived; The ear alone most safely is believed: I believe all the Son of God has spoken, Than truth's own word there is no truer token. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáuge fidem ómnium in te credéntium. God only on the cross lay hid fro m view; But here lies hid at once the manhood too; And I, in both professing my belief, Make the same prayer as the repentant thief. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáuge fidem ómnium in te credéntium. Thy wounds, as Thomas saw, I do not see; Yet Thee confess my Lord and God to be; Make me believe Thee evermore and more; In Thee my hope, in Thee my love to store. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáuge fidem ómnium in te credéntium . O Thou memorial of our Lord's own dying! O living bread, to mortals life supplying! Make Thou my soul henceforth on Thee to live, Ever a taste of heavenly sweetness give. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáuge fidem ómnium in te credéntium. O loving Pelican! O Jesus Lord! Unclean I am, but cleanse me in Thy Blood! Of which a single drop, for sinners split, Can purge the entire world from all its guilt. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáug e fidem ómnium in te credéntium. Jesus, whom, for the present, veil'd I see, What I so thirst for, oh! vouchsafe to me; That I may see Thy contenance unfolding, And may be blest Thy glory in beholding. Ave Jesu, Pastor Fidélium; Adáuge fidem ómnium in te credéntium.

A PRAYER FOR AFTER MASS


I give thanks to Thee, O Lord, most holy, Father almighty, eternal God, that Thou hast vouchsafed, for no merit of mine own, but out of Thy pure mercy, to appease the hunger of my soul with the precious body and blood of Thy Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. Humbly I implore Thee, let not this holy communion be to me an increase of guilt unto my punishment, but an availing plea unto pardon and salvation. Let it be to me the armour of faith and the shield of good will. May it root out from my heart all vice; may it utterly subdue my evil passions and all my unruly desires. May it perfect me in charity and patience; in humility and obedience; and in all other virtues. May it be my sure defence against the snares laid for me by my enemies, visible and invisible. May it restrain and quiet all my evil impulses, and make me ever cleave to Thee Who art the one true God. May I owe to it a happy ending of my life. And do Thou, O heavenly Father, vouchsafe one day to call me, a sinner, to that ineffable banquet, where Thou, together with Thy Son and the Holy Ghost, art to Thy saints true and unfailing light, fullness of content, joy for evermore, gladness without alloy, consummate and everlasting happiness. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.


No comments: